There are two spots in my basement with a need for water. The wet bar and the bathroom. The wet bar needed hot and cold water, a drain, and a drinking water line.

The bathroom was stubbed out by the builder. So….the drains were there….but we didn’t like the drain for the shower. We cut it out.

2011-09-29_11-42-53_713

2011-09-29_14-37-33_775

The bathroom also needed hot and cold water to the sink and the shower and also cold water to the toilet.

I used 1/2″ PEX throughout with the exception of the drinking water line from my R/O unit to the basement refrigerator  For this I used a 3/8 PEX line to keep the volume stored in the line to a minimum and hopefully help pressure loss.

<insert picture of tap of 3/8″ line from R/O tank>


Insulation is not bad. Unroll batt, staple up batt, tuck in loose pieces and cough. ugh

On the other hand, the drywall for a 1500 square foot basement is a daunting task. Just getting the sheets down stairs was rough for 5 guys. It took 1.5 hours. The worst was the 16 foot sheets that we had to bend around the staircase to fit and not upsetting the wife while taking out chunks of the basement stairs ceiling.

2011-09-22_12-15-29_552

2011-09-22_12-50-34_842

 

I had great success with this type of collated screw gun. The picture shown is the current model, but it is similar to the Ridgid model that I had. Made things much easier has I only have two hands and one knee to hang drywall. I also used a lift for the ceiling and the top wall pieces.

 

R6791_2_Final-1000x1000

 

The bedroom with batts in and ceiling rock hung

 

 

 

 

2011-10-23_15-04-14_374

 

Wall rock hung

2011-11-05_15-42-35_310

 

A bit of the rock in the main room as well.

2011-11-24_15-59-07_488

 

My rotozip kept leaping out of the can when I would go around the edge of the can. I cut this cross first so I would know about where the edge was in hopes that I could contain that rotozip. :)

2011-11-24_11-28-38_297

 

 

 

 


This is actually one of the parts of the project I felt I could do with ease. There were a few tricks, but overall it went smoothly. As shown below, I used all Insteon Switches in my basement. It was a huge overkill for the budget, but it was one of the few things that I wanted.

Insteon Switch

The key to doing this work is being comfortable with it, have a great teacher, or just be safe and pay for someone to do it for you.

I think  I placed about 35 – 4″ can lights in all. They were pretty easy as they all have the nice push in connectors already installed in the cans….nail em up and wire in about 10 minutes.

Aside from the standard power wires, I also ran CAT6 and speaker wires. I didn’t do too well on planning this as I no know after the basement is complete, that I should have done this…or that.


I got real nervous during the build and got lazy about posting. So. I have a finished product now. I will go back and post progress pictures when I get the chance. It will be nice to go back and see how far I got through this project. The city did approve my basement and I got to take the yellow sign down from my front window. The wife thinks the house looks much better without it. :) The pictures attached is of the single bedroom we added in the basement. I especially love the pendants hanging from the wood frame on the far wall. 

Image

ojc



I received my permit from the City (in less than a day no less) and immediately ordered some 1″ XPS to put up on the walls. I haven’t got it all completed as Carter Waters (place where I purchased the foam from) ran out of the adhesive. But…here are is the progress that I have made so far.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


I don’t know exactly the square footage here, but it is good sized and a huge project for me.

Here is a pdf of the layout.  Walls




Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.